Monday 29 September 2014

Back to real life blogging ...

Monday 29th September 2014
10:52am

Due to the 30 Day Mental Health Blog Challenge I've not really blogged on a whole as didn't want to bombard with blogs.  So I've been trying to keep a mental blog of what has been going on so I could pull something together.  It was really interesting though to do the challenge and I do think I secretly enjoyed it.

So, what's been going on ...

I'm now part of the Charlotte's Helix Project (https://www.charlotteshelix.net/) which is looking at the genetic link with anorexia.  I've done the first part of adding my DNA in the form of saliva, which I won't lie was very strange, and have also done a questionnaire.  I really recommend if you have a history of anorexia to click on the link and get involved.  25 thousand people are needed from all over the world.  

I sent an email to Fixers (http://www.fixers.org.uk/) to see if they could help my fight in getting people to talk about Borderline Personality Disorder and more importantly at least try and understand it.  I won't lie it took me a while to accept my diagnosis I think mainly because I already had one label with my anorexia.  Over the past year I'd started to realise the amount of stigma attached attached through my own personal experience.  This has been through work and education, and to be honest I was sick of been made to feel like shit!  I have a done recording for Granada Reports which is getting aired on Thursday (2nd October)

I've gone back to Uni for my second year of my foundation degree, this was a massive decision to if I went back as my confidence had really been knocked at the end of the last year, with different meetings I decided to go back and give it another go.  All I wanted was for people to see I do actually know what I'm capable of.  If I'm honest uni really has rocked my emotions, with it being a counselling course I get that you need to be stable as such but what I'm finding hard is that decisions are being made without involving me.  How something is put across may sound fine to someone but in actual fact it could have a detrimental affect and it's not them who has to deal with the fall out.  

JBL is going really well.  We are hoping to set up a fundraiser in the near future and we have been given an opportunity with Power in Partnership.  We have a talk at a school this week, which is one we have been to before so we should be in for a good day.

So as for me in general, I'm trying.  I have found it difficult going back to uni mainly due to the end of last term so I've had a lot of panic attacks which have really got me down.  I met my new psychiatrist who was lovely and is hopefully going to be chasing up where my therapy is (1 year 1 month and 20 days in waiting)

Thanks for reading! 

Rach x



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message ...