Monday 8 September 2014

30 Day Challenge - Day 12

Monday 8th September 2014
09:04am 

Day 12:
What do you think about your diagnosis in general?  (Some ideas are: stereotypes, commonalities, misdiagnosis, over diagnosis)

It took me a while to accept both my diagnosis.  At 14 been told you have a mental health issue is such a big deal, but to be honest I think at any age it can turn your life around.  There are loads of stereotypes of having anorexia:
- You should look like a skeleton 
- You don't eat anything
- Diet gone wrong
- Female Illness
- Only young people get it
- Attention Seeking
... I could go on.  These things are myths, anorexia is more serious then people realise, which through my talks I hope people start to realise how serious an eating disorder is.

BPD though was the hardest one to accept.  I think because I had heard so much negative stuff about it while in hospital and read about personality disorders it really freaked me out.
- You are dangerous
- You are a criminal
- Last chance diagnosis
- Not treatable
- Females are more commonly affected
... again I could go on.

You can see just from these no wonder people are so worried about being diagnosed with a mental health problem.  

For me having a diagnosis means that so many questions about my behavior and thoughts could be answered.  Yes it took me a while to accept this was now part of my life but it meant I could be given a bit more hope to cope with situations much more effectively.  Labels for many can be more damaging and that is important to remember, I want to be more than my diagnosis but to do that I have to accept it.

Rachael x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message ...