Tuesday 1 February 2011

... creating a future ...

Tuesday 1st February 2011
6:36pm

Recently I have realised how much the experience being gained with Warrington Disability Partnership is helping me achieve my dreams for creating a future, a positive one, and one which I intend to live to my full potential.

Last week I worked with a primary school in warrington which helped them to understand more about disabilities and how they may affect someone in all sorts of different ways. The primary school children are so lovely to work with, and what I loved more than anything was how they are not scared to ask you the questions that everyone wants to know. One child asked "what's it like to be disabled?" the teacher looked shocked that the question had been asked but I think it needed to and I was glad it was.

Primary School is the age I would love to develop work with. They still have the want to know, and getting them early about things such as disability always helps for the future. Not just the disabilities which people are more willing to talk about - seen disabilities but also the unseen disabilities which teachers or other tend to be scared of talking about, mental health especially or learning difficulties which may not be noticeable.

The fact that a young child can stand up in front of his classmates and tell them he doesn't like being laughed at due to his disability was so moving. The class realised how much this could hurt someone just a snigger at the back of a room if someone "acts up".

I was able to speak to year 6 about body image, something which I started to struggle with at their age, I felt bigger than everyone else, smaller and not as worthy. I asked the children to think of 2 positive things about themselves and a lot of them struggled, which was really sad to see! We can easily give positive comments to other people but to our selves we feel vain and that positivity is not worth to give to ourselves.

Tomorrow I'm off to another Primary School and I look forward to speaking to more younger people. The High Schools are also lovely to work in, they want to interact at times, and my personal talk can make a much bigger impact on them, especially to young girls, despite the fact eating disorders do also affect lads too.

The Primary School, made me realise I need to carry on with what I'm doing these young children are our future and maybe one day they will be carrying on the work which WDP do now.

love
Rach
x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message ...