Tuesday 12 October 2010

seeing is believing

tuesday 12th october 2010
9:00am
yesterday i was given one of the most amazing opportunities, I was allowed to spend the day on Fairhaven - the adolsecent unit for young people with mental health problems. I actually wasn't on there as a patient, mainly because i'm to old - but as a visitor/member of staff.
I went on the unit to speak about my journey as an inpatient through my god knows how many admissions and they listened. I didn't just go on as WDP's YA but because I have a passion for mental health. They were not scared to ask questions and I was honest, speaking about my experiences at Hollins Park making them realise now is the time to start really trying to sort things out and to fight their illnesses. Hollins Park is no Fairhaven, one of the patients said so the stories are true .... yes sadly they are.
Speaking about what they wanted to happen within the unit allowed them to realise that they did have the opportunity to change things for the better - like i said "seeing is beliving" i was proving that life can still go on, you just learn to accept your triggers and take life as it comes. I explained about my self harm, sucicide, anorexia, depression, admissions with truth and they all said they felt as though i was an inspirtion, for once i was an inspiration for sorting my life out and not fighting against the system!! i did actually feel touched by what they said.
Speaking to one patient on like a 1:1 level made me realise she was actually ready for discharge which was looming very soon. A story was told and i took interest something which she wasn't used to, someone of an similar age taking an interest and wanting to listen to her.
seeing those the young people on the unit made me realise how far i had come, my personal journey had got me to the point where i could speak to them and sort of give them to little bit of hope which is needed especially when you feel like there is no hope when your an inpatient.
when youre given opportunities it is so important to take them, i'm now working with the organisation i once hated because they had me in hospital (5BP) but now they're like another family, i'm helping them to improve and helping other people see that they can have a life - WDP gave me the opportunity to be the YA, at first i was so scared, it was a new set of people who i had no clue about, i would have to learn to build another trusting relationship so that i could bring myself to eat and be as honest as possible when i was having a bad day. I never believed i would be in the postition i am in today, i'm able to rasie awareness about mental health and use my own experiences, i'm actually believing that good things can happen to me ...
after all ...
seeing is believing
x x x x x xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message ...