Sunday 31 August 2014

30 Day Challenge - Day 4

Sunday 31st August 2014
05:28pm

Day 4
What are the pros and cons of having a mental illness(es) or your specific illness(es)?

Wow! Truthfully that is a hard one for pros.

I suppose I would say you become more understanding and more interested in other mental health issues, and to be honest I have met some fantastic friends through the mental health system so I suppose I could had that on.

Cons - Sadly stigma is still huge and that's not just from people who have only just met me and found out.  I've also had in from "friends" and family.  Comments like "snap out of it" "just eat" "attention seeking" I could go on if I'm honest.  I do struggle as well in social situations but then I thankfully have a great support network.  I think because my mental health issues started at school and there was no education around mental health kids are less tolerant and understanding unless they have been through it or know someone close, although even then I remember been accused of copying someone who was going though a similar thing, I wanted to be like them (I didn't want to be here at all never mind start trying to be someone else).  I am at the opinion on I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy although it would be interesting to see how they would cope on a daily basis with the thoughts I have, as they "walk a mile in my shoes"

I do wish at time I could be spontaneous and just go out for a meal or agree to go out with people on a snap decision, things need to be planned, I struggle to eat with "new" people only due to experiences with people trying to take my photo while I'm eating to prove I do it.  Yes I do it but I hate my photo been taken on something which I consider very private.

Rach  x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message ...