Saturday 30 August 2014

30 Day Mental Health Blog Challenge - Day 3

Saturday 30th 2014
10:44am

Day 3: What treatment or coping skills are most effective for you?

To begin with I was really reluctant with treatment.  I really believed that there was nothing wrong with me and that everyone was worrying for nothing.  In 2009 I was introduced to DBT (Dialectical behavior therapy) which is designed to help people change patterns of behavior that are not effective, such as self-harm, suicidal thinking and substance abuse. DBT works towards helping increase emotional and cognitive regulation by learning about the triggers.  The course was in Chester and I was finding the travelling stressful and was starting to struggle with having to cope with redoing college and taking time out to go to Chester.  College were really supportive but I think my paranoia took over and I was worried that the staff thought I was just messing them around.  I'd already been in and out of college due to inpatient stays the first time round.

I'm now on a waiting list for therapy through my local NHS mental health treatment team (I've been on this for 1 year 21 days - not that I'm counting or annoyed about it or anything!) So I've had to try and do things by myself with the support of friends and family.

When I lived with mum and dad my safe place at the time was going to a friends house, now I'm living on my own I still go to that friends house but slowly have been able to see my mum and dad's house as safe.  The reason I struggled to see my parent house as "safe" was only due to the fact I could only see the years of been ill and struggling, where I hid food, argued and for some reason couldn't see it from before that, all the happy memories of growing up and other occasions.

Other things which help me cope are my friend's children, they are growing up so quickly and I want to be part of their lives, and want to be able to show them that no matter what life throws at you, you can find the strength to carry on, my car, my cats, my parents and brother, and my friends.  I've learnt I've got to talk, I've got to try and be as honest as possible.  I do have my off days and all of this goes out the window but I have to get in the mind set that tomorrow is a new day.

Rach x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message ...