Friday 15 April 2011

does it really have to be obvious? ...

Friday 15th April 2011
10:58am

Disability is a subject which either people refuse to talk about or is the subject on everyone's mind - especially with working in the environment at WDP and my own disability it's always on my mind. I often wonder what else I can do to help those with a disability - my particular passion is those disabilities which you can't see but they are there.

When I ask young people about disability when I'm out in schools etc the first thing people mention is a wheelchair, however, only a small percent of the population are in fact wheelchair users. A larger percent of the population have mental health issues but yet getting it recognised as a disability to a lot of people is so hard!!

I love the people I work with, everyday I learn something new about disability and I can then pass these bits of information onto other people. This new information will be fantastic to use at the young people's forum which WDP are currently setting up and letters have been sent out to about 30 young people.

So my experience of ignorant people's view on disability happened today with a bus driver to be honest. He wanted proof that I was a disabled person. I would have happily taken him to Warrington Hospital got out my bulging notes and let him read the shit which I went through - leading to a stint in Hollins Park and trying to hard to get my life back on track, taking time and having to accept help. But I shouldn't have to, I've only in the past year accepted that my mental health is a disability and I need to welcome all the help and accept that I am still ill and although far down the path to recovery maybe not as far down as I think I am - but far enough to appreciate my life finally.

I'm now waiting for Nisha, a beautiful person in and out who I met through my journey, we did a group session together and did have a laugh. I think we've pulled each other though a lot and even if we don't text or talk for a while when we do see each other it's like we only saw each other yesterday!! So today we're off to the beach - believe it or not we're not as mad as we used to be but this seemed like a rather good idea!! lol :P

Life improves but I have to work for it, comments on looking well although still scare me I can appreciate where I am and that they mean it in a positive way. I love who I have around me at the moment and I'll fight to keep them in my life!! I want rid of my anorexia not the people I love and appreciate so much.

Rach
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a message ...